Kindergarten Arctic Penguin
I love how colorful the backgrounds turned out in this lesson and I especially love the personalities each penguin had. I wish I had taken more pictures of this lesson, they all turned out so good! This is a really good lesson for Kinders to practice their cutting skill.
- 18X12 white heavy weight paper
- tempera paint & brushes (I used tempera cakes)
- 9X12 black construction paper
- 9X12 white construction paper
- orange scraps of construction paper
- Paint background of 12X18 paper with stripes of various colors.
- Draw letter’ U’ or ‘n’ on a 9X12 black paper and cut out (remind them to make it BIG).
- Trace onto white paper then draw a smaller U inside first lines, cut out along smaller shape.
- Glue white shape on black shape so that the flat bottoms match up.
- Glue penguin body onto background.
- Use scraps to add eyes, beak, wings and feet onto penguin. For the feet I had them fold an orange paper in half and draw a letter ‘v’ and then cut out both feet at the same time. A zigzag at the bottom for toes was optional for the more advanced cutters.