Wax Resist Fall Leaves with 5th Grade
prep: cut 6inX18 in pieces of paper
fall color oil pastels
cut cool colored tissue paper into squares
cups of water, 2 per table
- together as a class look at different shapes of leaves, talk about how we can create are inspired by what we see in our surroundings
- use brown or red oil pastels to draw different types of leaves (3-4) – use leaf worksheets as inspiration
- then used fall colors of oil pastels to create a light to dark transition in each leaf. Discuss Value – the transition from light to dark
- add details with a darker color for the veins of the leaves
- do a faux watercolor resist for the background –
- We then brushed water on the watercolor paper and start placing pieces of tissue paper over the whole thing.
- It is necessary to work in small sections to be sure the paper is wet when placing the tissue paper on.
- Can go back over tissu paper with wet brush to ensure wetness
- The color from the tissue paper bleeds on to the watercolor paper.
- Let dry and shake off the tissue paper.